EIM’s Emergency Medical Response (EMR) Course integrates the objectives set forth by the American Red Cross and the Department of Transportation for Emergency Response. It is designed specifically for physical therapists who provide athletic venue coverage and respond to acute injuries. The course includes assessment, management and prevention of cardio-respiratory emergencies, musculoskeletal injury, medical emergencies such as shock or diabetic reactions, and environmental injuries. EIM’s EMR course fulfills the physical therapist eligibility requirements for Sports Physical Therapy Residency Programs and application submission for the ABPTS-SCS exam. (Note: Registration will close 4 weeks prior to the scheduled weekend intensive and permission to attend will be reviewed by the course faculty. Send your permission requests to [email protected] and reference EMR Course.)
This course is delivered in a blended learning fashion, combining online and on-site learning experiences to facilitate participant learning. An interactive and media-rich online precourse is provided to participants in advance of an intensive 2-day on-site laboratory weekend. Access to the precourse online will be emailed to the registrant within 2 business days of the date of purchase. Online learning activities use a variety of teaching strategies suitable to distance learning, including web-based video presentations, guided discussions, medical literature review, and self and peer-oriented performance analysis. The on-site lab intensive weekend provides participants with hands-on demonstration and practice of assessment, management and prevention strategies for acute injuries and emergencies. The course will have a student to faculty ratio of no greater than 15:1. Required activities for course completion include: 1) Completion of the Emergency Medical Response workbook, 2) Completion of the American Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers Course Final Written and Practical Exams, 3) Completion of the American Red Cross Emergency Medical Response Course Final Written and Practical Exams, and 4) Completion of the Spinal Immobilization Practical Examination. Successful completion of this course requires a final passing grade of 80% on all learning activities. * (SEE PREREQUISITES BELOW BEFORE PURCHASING)
Emergency Medical Response Course – This option is specifically for the participant who has not previously been certified for Emergency Medical Response. Participants will have full access to online course materials and full attendance during the onsite portion of the course. Price: $495 • Contact Hours: 38
Emergency Medical Response Re-certification – This option is for the participant who has been certified for Emergency Medical Response by EIM or the SPTS and has a current Emergency Medical Response Certification (valid within 90 days of the course start date). Participants will have full access to online course materials and full attendance during the onsite portion of the course, but will receive a special discount for their renewal. Price: $395 • Contact Hours: 38
Emergency Medical Response Course Test Only – This option is perfect for the participant who only wishes to partake in the testing process for Emergency Medical Response Certification. Participants enrolled in this option will only have access to online tests (no access to online course materials) and onsite attendance for testing only. Price: $200 • Contact Hours: N/A
Target Audience: Intermediate level course open to licensed physical therapists and athletic trainers certificated..
Credits: 38 contact hours (22 online and 16 on-site) from EIM Institute of Health Professions for initial and re-certification course options
EIM Program Applicability: Fulfills the physical therapist eligibility requirements for Sports Physical Therapy Residency Programs and application submission for the ABPTS- SCS exam
*Prerequisites: No previous course requirements but ALL participants must purchase American Red Cross’ Emergency Medical response textbook, workbook and a Resuscitation mask to be used during the course. Textbook and workbook must be purchased prior to starting the course. Resuscitation mask is needed for the Weekend Intensive. Links are provided for your convenience and other vendors may certainly be used.
Appropriate dress: Participants are asked to bring appropriate attire for lab sessions (i.e. shorts and t-shirts and sports bras for women) and air-conditioned environments throughout the day (i.e. warm-up or work-out clothes).
Upon completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Use knowledge in the foundational and clinical sciences related to response to injury/disease in order to enhance outcomes for patients with acute athletic injuries.
- Participate in peer-assessment activities and participate in the design and implementation of decision-making guidelines.
- Demonstrate clinical decision making skills, including clinical reasoning, clinical judgment, and reflective practice.
- Examine patients/clients by obtaining a primary assessment, secondary assessment and physical examination to guide clinical decision making regarding the packaging, re-evaluation and return to play of the acutely injured athlete.
- Synthesize and analyze data from primary assessment, secondary assessment and physical examination to make clinical judgments regarding patient/client management.
- Be a productive member of the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) team and the sports medicine team in the assessment and management of athletic injury.
- Fulfill requirements for eligibility to apply for the ABPTS – SCS exam and become certified in Emergency Medical Response and CPR/AED for 2 years.
Most importantly – be able to apply this stuff to your clinical practice next week!
- American Red Cross (2011). Emergency Medical Response (textbook) StayWell Health and Safety Solutions ISBN: 978-1-58480-327-0
- American Red Cross (2011) Emergency Medical Response Workbook StayWell Health and Safety Solutions ISBN: 978-1-58480-328-7
- Additional required and supplementary articles are listed in each weekly module and can be downloaded from the Moodle Learning Management System.