An 18-month residency program of post-professional clinical and didactic education for physical therapists designed to advance the resident’s preparation as a highly-skilled provider of patient care services in sports physical therapy.
A productive combination of didactic, collaborative, and clinical education experiences using a blend of distance learning, on-line courses, weekend intensive hands-on courses, and clinical practice hours (including athletic venue hours). Courses are taught by EIM’s world class faculty, many of whom are internationally recognized for their contributions to education, research, and practice management.
|EIM’s Residency Model:||EIM’s Flexible Residency Model:|
Click here to further explore differences.
Click here for more information on becoming a host site.
Ongoing clinical supervision and mentoring with a theoretical basis for advanced practice and scientific inquiry provides the framework for this program. Graduates exemplify clinical excellence in sports physical therapy and are well-versed in the prevention, evaluation, treatment, rehabilitation, and performance enhancement for today’s athletes.
Learn more about the EIM’s Sports Physical Therapy Residency from Program Director, Teresa Schuemann, PT, DPT, SCS, ATC.
EIM’s Sports Residency Program is designed so that graduates will:
- Grow as practitioners skilled in sports physical therapy
- Become highly skilled, autonomous practitioners who have substantially increased their ability to provide care to a full spectrum of patients with athletic injuries.
- Gain a strong base of knowledge of evidence-based practice and preventative and rehabilitative sports therapy techniques.
- Be positioned to both achieve the Sports Certified Specialist (SCS) certification from the ABPTS and to be leaders in the sports physical therapy field.
Core Course Work
- EBP 6100 – Evidence-based Practice I
- ORPT 6510 – Management of Lumbopelvic Disorders
- ORPT 6520 – Management of Lower Extremity Disorders
- ORPT 6530 – Management of Cervical and Thoracic Disorders
- ORPT 6540 – Management of Upper Extremity Disorders
Sports Topic Courses
- SPPT 6000 – Emergency Response Course for the Sports Therapist (pre-requisite)
- SPPT 6110 – Basic Science in Sports Physical Therapy
- SPPT 6120 – Sports Nutrition and Performance Enhancement
- SPPT 6130 – The Female Athlete
- SPPT 6140 – Sports Across the Ages
- SPPT 6510 – Sports Physical Therapy Competencies
- APPT 6110 – Essentials of Pharmacology & Clinical Lab Tests
Mentored Clinical Practice
- SPPT 7590 – Sports Residency Mentored Clinical Practice
- SPPT 7190 – Athletic Venue Hours
- SPPT 7270 – Sports Residency Virtual Rounds
- Outcomes Tracking in FOTO
- SPPT 7110 – Professional Forum in Sports Physical Therapy
- SPPT 7280 (2017-18) – SCS Exam Preparatory Course