Now offering: Clinical Doctorate in Occupational Therapy (OTD)
EIM’s Postprofessional OTD program can be completed in 18-24 month. A students program may include a combination of online and onsite coursework or may be completely online depending on the track they choose.
The Single Track option includes 15 credits of core OTD coursework and 15 elective credits chosen by the student from our OTD elective catalog.
The Dual Track option includes 15 credits of core OTD coursework with the option to apply credits achieved from one of EIM’s Certification tracks. Students completing the Dual Track option must achieve a minimum of 30 credits.
If additional elective courses are needed they can be selected from the OTD elective catalog.
. Completion of the OTD Program will allow the individual to:
- Improve the quality of occupational therapy care
- Promote scholarship in practice
- Improve therapists’ knowledge of current evidence and promote the use of evidence-based practice in daily clinical practice
- Enhance leadership skills to create master clinicians
- Advocate for the occupational therapy profession
- Progress the occupational therapy professional through implementation of a capstone project
The OTD program requires completion of 30 total credit hours. 15 of these credits include the OTD Core Coursework, and the remaining 15 credits can be selected from the approved OTD elective catalog (coming soon), or by completed the Dual Track Option. These credits are accomplished by completing the required 15 core credit hours and by selective the additional credits using our program catalog or attaching a certification track.
OTD Core Coursework – 15 Credits
- EBP 6100 – Evidence-based Practice I
- APPT 6210 – Essentials of Musculoskeletal Imaging
- APPT 6110 – Essentials of Pharmacology & Clinical Lab Tests
- BUSI 6200 – Business Management Principles for the Rehab Therapist
- EDU 6200 – Teaching and Education Theory
- RES 6210 – Clinical Theory and Research
- PROF 6100 – Professionalism: Roles and Responsibilities
- BUSI 6250 – Management and Leadership in Occupational Therapy
- OTD 7280 – OTD Capstone Project
OTD Elective Catalog
Select 15 additional credit hours from the OTD Catalog.
Dual Track OTD Programs:
EIM’s Postprofessional OTD students also have the option to attach one of the following certificate programs. These credits can be applied towards the required credits needed to complete the OTD program.
- Concussion Management
- Executive Program in Practice Management
- Hand Therapy
- Industrial Health
- Specialty Certification in Stroke Recovery *
- Therapeutic Pain Specialist **
Please note that the postprofessional OTD degree is not intended as an advanced academic degree in preparation for teaching as ranked faculty in an OT educational program. The EIM Postprofessional OTD is designed to be a clinically oriented degree. Typically, academic institutions seek ranked faculty members who have “terminal doctoral degrees” such as PhD, DSc, etc. Individuals desiring an advanced academic degree that prepares them for teaching should pursue the appropriate degree (ie, PhD, DSc, etc.) based on feedback from their target institution. While some institutions with a clinical faculty appointment track recognize the postprofessional OTD for academic purposes, most require that it come from a regionally accredited institution.