EIM’s Business Management Principles course will provide participants with a better understanding of basic management principles essential to obtaining a competitive advantage in the physical therapy marketplace. This requires a clear strategic planning process, market analysis, quality improvement plan, and a solidified business plan. PTs in this course will be introduced to these key principles and processes, and will see several examples from different types of practices across the US. Additionally, this course provides important decision-making framework for positioning and branding your practice. Participants will leave this course having been introduced to the skills necessary to step into the world of physical therapy management.
Laurence Benz, PT, DPT, OCS, MBA; David Browder, PT, DPT, OCS; and Lynn Steffes, PT, DPT, developed this course in a modular, web-based, faculty-directed format using the Moodle Learning Management System. The course is interactive and media-rich to help make the e-learning environment both engaging and convenient for the participant. Learning activities will focus on a series of online video presentations, readings, forum discussions, and submissions that allow participants to develop sound marketing tools and strategies along with the initial skills needed to successfully use word of mouth marketing, social media, and e-marketing. PTs will leave this course with the skills to maximize the use of today’s technology to draw clients to their practices. Lastly, we will provide key elements of an execution culture and an emphasis on getting your team to focus on their strengths. Weekly online forum discussions and submissions serve as graded elements to reinforce course objectives and assess learning. Successful completion of this course requires a final passing grade of 80% on all learning activities. The course is designed to be completed in an 8-week time period.
Target Audience: Intermediate level course open to licensed physical therapists and physical therapy administrators.
Credits: 30 contact hours from EIM Institute of Health Professions
EIM Program Applicability: OMPT Fellowship and Transition DPT programs (EIM R203; 2 credits)
Appropriate dress: This is an online course.
Upon completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the concept of strengths based management.
- Be able to identify their five top strengths and how a better understanding of these strengths can be turned into performance.
- Understand how to document and code physical therapy treatment in an outpatient private practice setting to optimize payment while remaining compliant.
- Understand the importance of customer service in building brand loyalty.
- Understand how to build a culture of ‘over the top’ customer service.
- Create customer evangelists through word of mouth (WOM) marketing.
- Conduct a successful sales call for all referral sources.
- Conduct a competition analysis in a target market.
- Understand the available resources for continued education in private practice physical therapy management.
Most importantly – be able to apply this stuff to your clinical practice next week! References Required and supplementary articles are listed in each weekly module and can be downloaded from the Moodle Learning Management System.